Tartetatin is an upside down French apple pie.
- Home made short crust pastry or store bought (as per your wish)
- 3 table spoons flour for rolling
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 5-6 Himachali apples or any apples you find at your nearby store- Peeled , cored and Diced .
- 50gms Amiksa Cheddar cheese grated
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Roll out the pastry gently until ¼ inch thick and place it on a plate baking sheet and let it chill in fridge to chill.
- In a deep 10inch skillet (which can ideally be used in an oven also) over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter is melted, add sugar and gently caramalise it until amber. Usually takes around 7-8 minutes.
- Add the apples in a neat arrangement and cook them in the caramel until medium soft. Remove from heat and add the grated Amiksa cheddar cheese.
- At this if you are not using a cook & bake skillet, transfer it to a baking dish. Place the pastry over the apples gently tucking the folds into the corner.
- Make a small hole in the centre of the pastry to let steam come out.
- Bake until the crust is puffed up and golden brown.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10minutes. Place your serving plate on top and gently flip such that the apples are on top.
- Add shards of Amiksa cheddar cheese as decoration on top. The sweetness of the apples combined with the salty mild cheddar makes a wonderful combination bursting with complex flavors.
- Serve hot.